Monday, April 7, 2008

Relief Printing: Painful

I believe I understand a fair bit about relief printing. At my high school (Asheville High) we had, in my graphic communications class, something called a flexographic printing press. It used relief surface plates (created by exposing emulsion to harden the non-image area for washing out) wrapped around cylinders to print on primarily label stock (stickers).

I have gone from that to carved linoleum which seems to be rather uneven and as far as ink distribution is concerned, forgedaboutit! Even when I take my time with the roller it is nearly impossible to cover the thing uniformly. Not to mention, it uses a ton of ink and at 3 bucks a tube, this stuff ain't cheap.

Lord help me when it comes time for me to carve a pattern into one of the linoleum blocks... just doing straight lines for the letters is difficult enough.

Respect.

No comments: